Sylvia Spring (partial data)
Films directed by Sylvia Spring
Quotes by Sylvia Spring
"Just as our mothers learned how to budget very small bits of money and make it stretch to feed the whole family, I think the small budgets that we women filmmakers have gotten we've had to stretch and really use and make a difference with that resource."
-- Sylvia Spring
"We [women film directors] are very concerned with what is going on in the world but it is very difficult to get the money for the films that need to be made. We have to approach male-dominated structures for funding. We also need a lot more support because of the prejudices we have to fight first. We need affirmative action and we need to make mistakes -- women need to be able to learn from their mistakes."
-- Sylvia Spring
For QUOTES about a specific film by Sylvia Spring, please see: Madeleine
Notes about Sylvia Spring
- Born in Galt, Ontario.
- Obtained a B.A. in English literature from New York University.
Section 1: Publications about the Films of Sylvia Spring
- Jordan, Randolph. "Vancouver Is...: Defining the City in Sylvia Spring's Madeleine Is... (1971)." In World Film Locations: Vancouver, edited by Rachel Walls, 44-45. Bristol: Intellect Books, 2013.
Newspaper or Magazine Articles
- Armatage, Kay. "Madeleine Is...." Review of Madeleine Is.... Take One (Montreal), vol. 2, no. 11 ['issue of May/June 1970, published June 3, 1971'], May-June 1970.
- Knelman, Martin. "Refuting the youth movie fantasy." Review of Madeleine Is.... Globe and Mail, April 24, 1971.
- Lee, Betty. "Making a movie despite the CFDC." Interview with Sylvia Spring. Globe and Mail, March 27, 1971.
- Loiselle, André. "Madeleine is... worth a second look." Take One (Toronto), July-August 2002.
- Variety. "Madeleine Is." Review of Madeleine Is.... Variety, April 28, 1971.
These archival institutions have holdings related to Sylvia Spring or her films: